Wednesday, November 10, 2010

My first crush

Do you remember who your first crush was? I do. He was a sweet little blond boy, the only blonde I've ever crushed on. He was 5 and I was 4. He also gave me my first kiss!

If you remember your first crush, do you remember how you came to have a crush on them? I'm guessing you didn't think about it. It probably happened on its own without you realizing it until it smacked you upside the head. He (or she) walked by & you felt it. And I would bet 100 bucks on the fact that after you realized your crush you didn't stop & think about if it was right or not.

Every time I meet a homophobic person, I think about my first crush & how all of my crushes happened. I didn't choose any of them. Each crush happened like I said before- it just kind of smacked me upside the head. What if the first attraction I'd felt was to a girl? What if? What if their first attraction had been to a person of the same gender? To them, they chose to not be attracted to the same sex, but just like everyone else they just felt it.

Just as I couldn't change what sex I'm attracted to, neither can gay people. Sure, for some, it may happen over time, but it's usually not something you can decide to do & just do it. Even if that was possible, I still believe you'd always feel a little off about your relationships.

The main point I'm trying to make here is that I think it's so totally wrong for people to expect others to ignore their instincts & feelings when they believe it's perfectly ok for them to listen to their own. Why are there people that believe there is actually a right & a wrong decision when it comes to LOVE?

I didn't choose who I love. It just happened one day; I was smacked in the face with it & I'm just lucky enough that he happened to feel the same way. If I can live happily ever after in peace & have no one tell me my choice is wrong, why shouldn't everyone be allowed to also?

No comments: