Thursday, December 24, 2009

White Christmas

Well, people wanted a White Christmas & they got just that. We are practically snowed in!

I've been quite a lazy bum since I got home from work earlier, so I just got off the couch to see what it was like outside. We have about 6 inches worth of snow piled up outside the sliding door! Granted the wind has blown it up that high, but it's still probably at least 4 inches across the lawn. We also have a snow drift the wind made near our front door that is a foot and a half tall! Pretty crazy stuff.

I was supposed to go to my grandparent's house tonight for our usual Christmas Eve celebration, but the roads were pretty icy when I got off work. I figured driving back to OP would not be a good idea. I might have made it out there without any major problems, but with a blizzard forcasted, I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it back ok. Definitely glad I made that choice. It is a little strange to not be at home with my family on Christmas Eve, but it's pretty nice to be honest.

I've always hated the holidays because they always meant yelling and disappointment for me. Not me yelling or being disappointed, but other members of my family. This year doesn't feel like Christmas at all- except for the snow & Christmas movies on TV. We didn't have a tree or any holiday decorations up this year, and we didn't even go celebrate with our families. I'm sure right now plenty of kids are tucked away dreaming of Santa, but Christmas awe is lost on me. I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but I do miss it a little.

It's slightly sad, but I think I miss the food the most! All the different Christmas cookies my family would cook, mashed potatoes and the best gravy ever, povitica, turkey. Yum! But maybe I'll still get to have a little of that tomorrow if this blizzard melts away.

Anyway, it's nice to be able to spend the holiday with the one who has always decreased my stress level. (I'm not talking about Koopa!) It was a very relaxing night, and I definitely enjoyed it. We had a little bit of a fun time trying to get Koopa into his snow gear- he's not too keen on the boots, but he loves his coat. Here's a pic of him before he ripped off the boots:

I'm sure he'll be ok with the boots as soon as he realizes what they're for. He HATES when his feet are cold. He will stand with one paw up at a time trying to keep them warm. If anyone has any tips about keeping them on his feet, please share!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Even with decorations up at my parents, it seems im in the same boat. Christmas is just another holiday. I don't get excited anymore. In fact I pretty much forgot about it last year.

lindsay said...

I think it's the age we're at. Once I have kids I know I'll be overcome with Christmas spirit again pretending to be Santa! Until then it's just nice seeing everyone think about other people rather than themselves.

Have a Merry Christmas! I hope the snow doesn't beat you in your quest to get out of the house!