This is a list of things I've seen people do on the road that annoy the crap out of me. In my opinion, if you avoid doing these things, you'll be a better driver!
1. Just because someone’s brake lights aren’t on doesn’t mean they aren’t stopped. I drive this thing called a manual car. My car doesn’t roll forward when I’m not braking, therefore I don’t have to brake. So STOP PULLING UP ON MY ASS! You can expect me to throw my car into reverse and scare the shit out of you if you continue.
2. Your tires are the most important part of your car. If you don’t know how to use a normal pressure gauge, get a digital one. The pressure your tires should be at is on the inside of the driver’s side door jam. Check on your tires regularly, especially when the weather changes drastically. Your car drives better when the tires are inflated to the correct pressure.
3. Use your blinker. There is no reason not to. If you have any respect for other people, you will give them a little notice. If you feel the need to be lazy, don’t drive.
4. When you see a 4 and a 5 on a sign, it means you’re supposed to go 45 miles per hour. This seems to be a hard one for Lawrence. Most Lawrencians never exceed 35mph, so 45 is really hard for them. Drive at least the speed limit, please? Especially when it says 45. If not, I’m going to have to look like a jackass and fly past you (going the speed limit).
5. On the highway, if there are other people going faster than you, get in the right lane! Not only is it now the law (thank god!), you are a douchebag if you stay there and slow everyone down. You’re only going to create a greater potential for an accident and many, MANY pissed off people. Again, dangerous.
6. Not everyone on the road hates you. Behind those hunks of metal and plastic are actual people. Some of them have hearts and will help you if you need it.
7. If you need to get over, see #3 and then WATCH to see what people around you do. So many times I see someone use their blinker to get over and then fail to realize when someone (me) slows down to let them over. Flashing lights don’t mean get the “f*uck out of my way!” they usually mean, “Hey, I see you. Come on over.”
8. If it’s raining outside, brake slower and earlier. If you brake late, you will have to brake harder, and it’s more likely that your tires won’t find enough traction to stop your car. What results is getting to meet the person behind that hunk of metal and plastic that you just ran into as well as one that drives a car with flashing lights. And you wishing you would have just braked slower and earlier.
9. Know where everyone is around you. Make a mental note of the type (or color if you’re not there yet) of car when you see one coming up behind you in your rearview mirror. Know when they’ve passed you, turned, etc. You are a better driver when you’re aware of your surroundings and where other cars are located.
10. If you are sitting first in line at a red light, your only objective is to watch for the light to change. If you make someone miss the light, you’re again going to create angry people.
11. This one may be the most important because it makes me late for class/work very often. If you are the first car in the right lane and are coming up to an intersection, say Clinton Parkway and Kasold, where there is no right turn lane, GET IN THE LEFT LANE IF YOU ARE GOING STRAIGHT. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve sat in the right lane behind one person that is not turning right. So annoying, and so pointless. If you can get over before the light, please do. I’ll be forever grateful. I even wave and say thanks when I see people do this!
Happy Driving! :)
1 comment:
4, 5, 8 & 10 FTW!!!!
11, yesss I noticed that on roads that don't have right-turn lanes so I started to get over to let people through... now when people sit there in front of me when I try to turn I get SO ANGRY. fdjlafjdlsafjlsa!!!
Post a Comment