Short post today. I just wanted to post about this- I was social this weekend!!
Last night we had a work party for turkey day. I should say that I am pretty close to the people I work with and they are all very awesome. They all also know about my limitations when it comes to food, so it's never very awkward to be around them. But still I made it out of the house and to my friend's house!
As if that wasn't enough, I also met a newer person from work at the dog park this morning. I was even the one that invited her out. That's normally something I would never do, but I'm really trying to get over this weird thing about how I'd rather spend my time alone.
I wouldn't say it's social anxiety really. It almost is an anxiety if it's new people, but I'd say it's more of a preference to be alone. I'm not a social person anymore, and I'm definitely an introvert. I get nervous to meet new people in new situations because I'm afraid I'll end up with nothing to say or that people will think I'm strange (that's a given after this post ;)
I was a huge nerd in high school and ever since then, I have thought that I'm really boring and that no one likes me. It's really easy to feel that way when you're almost completely ignored for 4 whole years. Anyway, I'm getting over myself and trying to push myself to make new connections with new people and to get over the shy, antisocial crap. This weekend gave me a little bit of hope that I'll be able to make good progress.
3 comments:
Good for you! I go through stages of social anxiety. I'm pretty good one-on-one. But, in groups: Meh.
I prefer to be alone or with certain close friends too... but you definitely have to come out to a mini-tweetup. No pressure, we're all weird.
Huzzah. Again like I've always said. You aren't lame
Post a Comment