Monday, September 14, 2009

Pro-life? Pro-choice? Or on the fence?

These past few years seem like they have been ones full of change. When I was little, I was my parents' child. I believed and fully agreed with everything they said. Ever since I graduated (high school), my brain has been working overtime coming up with all the reasons my parents are freakin' nuts.

My latest mind boggling realization is that I'm not sure I'm pro-life anymore. I *am* pro-life for myself. That is one huge reason why I'm still abstinent. If I were to ever get pregnant, I would -without a doubt- birth and raise the child I created. I do believe that life begins at conception, so if I ever conceived a child, I would never dream of aborting it. To me, that is similar to murder. Obviously, one wouldn't being killing the fetus in malice, but killing a living being is killing regardless of the intent.

A lot of pro-lifers forget to draw the line here. Abortion is not for *me* but why should I tell anyone else what they should do? I really hope people that are sexually active are smart about it and protect themselves from becoming pregnant, but is it really up to me to tell someone I think they're horrible because they do get pregnant and end up aborting the fetus? Absolutely not!

Their life, their decision. So....that makes me pro-choice, right? I'm still not quite sure. I never like to label myself because a) I don't ever fit perfectly on either side...I'm too open-minded and can sympathize with each side (usually) and b) I don't like for others to form ideas about me based on what I label myself. When people would hear that I was pro-life, they'd immediately treat me differently if they were pro-choice. Why? Did I instantly change from the person they had known to someone evil? No, I was still my same self...they had just learned something new about me they didn't like or agree with.

So what I've learned is that I'm both: pro-life (which is what I'd *prefer* for most people to choose) but pro-choice for that same reason- I think each and every person has the right to *choose* what's right for them. I've also learned that labels are dumb and that you can't hate people or think of them differently just because they have a different viewpoint. If my parents read this, they might just disown me- my grandparents would for sure. How sad is that?

People are set in their ways- most people aren't going to change what they believe in ever in their lives- that's just the way they are. People especially aren't going to change just because you pester them to. That's just one of the ways Students for Life went wrong today. Their massive display just upset people- pro-life and pro-choice (and those in between!). If I were on the fence between pro-life and pro-choice, I'd definitely sway toward pro-choice after seeing that display today. It was just absolutely ridiculous- everyone knows what happens anyway; showing pictures of it won't change anyone's mind.

I feel like I'm getting redundant now- I've been out of this writing thing for waaaay too long now. Let's hope my future posts are better written and have some structure!


No comments: