Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bad Shit Can Turn Into Good Shit

Well that is quite a shitty analogy, but I hope to make sense of it. What I mean to say is that when bad things happen, you can always turn your negative experience into something good...or at least better.

Take my week for example. In the past few days, my computer has completely failed me. I used it primarily for school (taking notes) and for interneting after school. Last night, my power cord gave up on me. If my computer doesn't get power, the battery drains, and the computer will eventually die. If the computer dies, I cannot access *any* of my notes. Sure, I have them backed up- from their versions 6 months ago. Point is- if my computer won't turn on, there's no point for me to go to class.

The second bad thing to happen (which actually happened before the battery drainage) was that my digital pen fell out of the slot and is now gone. This sucks royally because, being in many science-based classes, we often have to draw structures and mechanisms all over our notes. Believe it or not, this is incredibly hard to do on a track pad. I can't tell you how many times I tried to grab for the non-existent pen today to draw something. I ended up having to type out what he was drawing. That will be fun to study.

But when I got home from class today, I decided to give HP a call. When I got through to a person, I was amazed! I told her what problems I was having with the power cord and that my pen fell out even after I had clicked it in the slot, and she said, "Oh that's no problem; we can send those to you right away. They should be there by the end of the week." The end of the what? This week? You mean in, like, two DAYS?!? Customer service *always* gives me trouble (unless I'm at Walmart), so I always get incredibly nervous to call and complain about anything. HP totally won me back today and completely improved my day/week.

Another easy way to turn negative into positive was to avoid one of the things causing me to have a bad week. School. The two tests I took yesterday bummed me out completely, so I decided to sleep in today. I don't even need to tell you how enjoyable that was. It renewed my positive attitude and got me through a quiz and one whole class.

The hardest part about turning the negatives into positives was, for me, deciding to do it. Sometimes the worst part of being happy is deciding to give up your anger/frustration and just be happy again. But once I did, I felt tons of tons of relief. So if anything is frustrating you or making you mad, try to let it go so that you can start enjoying life again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

High five. I mean that's really all that can and needs to be said!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Rachel! My name's Gavon and I'm a reporter with lawrence.com. I was wondering if you'd like to do a quick interview via e-mail? So far as the topic, I'll let you choose between TV and books.

Give me a holler at gavonl@yahoo.com if you're interested!

Anna said...

oh how i feel the same way, darling!
so happy to have come across another lawrence based blogger! : )
xo-